2.27.2013

Standards vs. Expectations


Standard (n.): something considered by an authority or by general consent as a basis of comparison; an approved model.

I am all about having standards. Standards for yourself. Standards for your friends. Standards for your relationships. Standards better people. Standards push people to be the best possible version of themselves. Standards are healthy. They are encouraging.

Expectation (v.): the act or state of anticipating the occurrence or coming of.

Expectations, on the other hand, can be harmful. I feel like putting expectations on people is kind of like putting them in a box. Or setting them up for failure. If the idea that you have in your mind isn't met, you're automatically disappointed. Expectations ruin reality. You can't appreciate what's around you, because you're waiting for/wanting something else to happen.

Free yourself from expectations. Free those around you from expectations. Reevaluate your standards. Do everything in love, y'all!


Photobucket
Share:

11 comments

  1. I really like this post - I've always felt this way, like expectations constrain real life.
    Great photos, by the way - it looks like you had a great time!
    <3 Kiersten

    ReplyDelete
  2. this couldnt have come at a better time. love!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhh hayyyy.
    LOOK AT YOU.
    Really this is a great reminder!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. love this! and love that picture too!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh this is so perfect for me at this very moment. Thanks for sharing, Jessica! Well said!

    ReplyDelete
  6. PERFECT inspirational post with a perfect format!! Love it goooorl.. and PERFECT picture that explains it all ;)

    I receive daily emails, and earlier this week, the message was to stop expecting things when there are so many things to be thankful for! TRUTH!

    *singing*... "And I'm FREEEEE... FREEE FALLIN'!!"

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this girl. Beautifully said.
    Elizabeth
    lifeandlaughter.typepad.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this! I definitely think I have unrealistic expectations sometimes and it makes me unable to appreciate the good in my life!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this post. It really makes me think about my own standards and my own dreams and goals. :)

    Thanks for inspiration once again!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This post definitely came at a good time.

    Jamie
    greyskysaturday.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is SO TRUE, girl, so true. I consistently remind myself (and share with other people, if asked for advice) that if people are consistently hurting or disappointing you, etc., we need to change OUR expectations of THEM. It can be the difference between keeping or tossing a friendship! If our expectations are changed based on what the other person (or we) can or will do, bam. Makes all of the difference in the world. VERY VERY great post!!!

    xoxo,
    Gayle | Grace for Gayle

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your encouraging words :)
Seriously...every comment makes my day a little brighter!
SO THANK YOU for being wonderful!

If you have a question or need a response, please don't hesitate to email me at
jessica@lovelylittlethingsblog.com

© Lovely Little Things | All rights reserved.
Blog Layout Created by pipdig